Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Outing" Hungry

Maybe Bryon and I are weird, but we struggled with how and when to tell family about Hungry. It seemed like a conversation best had in person.

This past weekend, my family was up at the Ponderosa and we were going to be joining them for dinner Saturday night, so it seemed like a good opportunity to share the news. I had toyed with the idea of getting a t-shirt saying something like, "I'm going to be a big brother" for Lucky to wear and letting him break the news for us, but Bryon balked at the price of the shirts I was able to find online.

Part of the reason we were getting together for dinner was to celebrate Mike and Kayla's birthday, so we wanted to wait until the birthday celebrations were over before sharing our news so as not to overshadow the birthdays.

Normally, getting everyone out on the patio in the evening at the Ponderosa is a relatively easy task, but this time it took a concerted effort on our part to get them all out there at once. Lucky was out there with us, and because I'm a big dork and didn't know quite what to say, I told them that Lucky had big news - he was going to be a big brother in January.

My mom "got it" instantly. The funny part was that it took Kayla close to 5 minutes for the pieces to all come together - she initially thought we were talking about puppies! Everyone seemed very excited, although my dad was disappointed to hear that he was going to have to wait to share the news with others. I think they're all looking forward to our first doctor's appointment next week and seeing the ultrasound pictures that should come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment