Thursday, June 4, 2009

First Appointment

The first thing we learned at my first OB appointment was that afternoon appointments mean lots of waiting. My appointment was scheduled for 3:00, and I arrived 30 minutes early, as requested, to fill out the necessary paperwork. We waited for quite some time in the waiting room, and then my name was called - but only to come give a urine sample and have my weight and blood pressure recorded. After that, I was sent back to the waiting room where we waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, my name was called and we were shown to an exam room.

My first appointment was to be with the Nurse Practitioner. We were told to wait in the exam room and she would be in shortly. After a brief wait, she came to the door and invited us to her office across the hall where we sat down and talked for a while. She went over my medical history, gave us a bunch of information, including lists of pregnancy "Dos and Don'ts" and a list of medications that are considered okay to take during pregnancy, and gave me a "goodie bag" containing a number of different samples of prescription prenatal vitamins, with instructions to try different ones out until I found one that didn't make me feel bad, then they would call in a prescription for me for the winning vitamin. After asking us if we had any questions, we went back across the hall to the exam room and I was instructed to change into the (paper) gown provided and wait on the table.

The nurse practitioner returned and the exam began. Since I would have been due for my annual exam the following month anyway, I was "treated" to a Pap smear as part of my exam. After those "formalities" were dispensed with, the Nurse Practitioner wheeled in the ultrasound machine and instructed Bryon to come stand down by her (on the "business" end of things) rather than where he had strategically positioned himself up near my head so that he would have a better view of the screen. A few minutes later, I was dressed and we were on our way, first picture of gummy-bear-sized Hungry in-hand. Since we'd had to wait so long, it was after 5:00 before we got out of there, so the lab was closed and I would have to come back another day to have my blood work done.

Without further ado, I give you Hungry's first photo:

Not quite as furry and orange as you might expect yet, but aren't those some cute little leg and arm buds? If you look closely, you can even see dark spots that are the eye sockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment